Monday, August 5, 2013

Monday-Six plus Weeks in KSA, Ramadan

This past month has proved to be challenging. Mainly because from the first week of July through the end if the first week of August it is Ramadan. What is Ramadan you ask, well the following is from Wikipedia...
Ramadan (Arabicرمضان RamaḍānIPA: [rɑmɑˈdˤɑːn];[variations] PersianرمضانRamazānUrduرمضان RamzānTurkishRamazan) is the ninth month of the Islamic calendar;[1] Muslims worldwide observe this as a month of fasting.[2][3] This annual observance is regarded as one of the Five Pillars of Islam.[4] The month lasts 29–30 days based on the visual sightings of the crescent moon, according to numerous biographical accounts compiled in the hadiths.[5][6] The word Ramadan comes from the Arabic root ramiḍa or ar-ramaḍ, which means scorching heat or dryness.[7] Fasting isfard "obligatory" for adult Muslims, except those who are ill, traveling, pregnant,breastfeedingdiabetic or going through menstrual bleeding.[8]
While fasting from dawn until sunset, Muslims refrain from consuming food, drinking liquids, smoking, and engaging in sexual relations; in some interpretations they also refrain from swearing. Food and drink is served daily, before sunrise and after sunset.[9][10] According to Islam, the thawab (rewards) of fasting are many, but in this month they are believed to be multiplied.[11] Fasting for Muslims during Ramadan typically includes the increased offering of salat (prayers) and recitation of theQuran.[12]

That my friends was the official definition. I will take a moment to give you the real world, or should I say here in KSA definition. Shops, grocery stores, gas stations, banks and pretty much all businesses are open for only a few hours in the mornings of weekdays Saturday through Thursday. They all close at 12:00 pm for the remainder of the day and do not open again until late into the evening. Late by the way, is 10:30 pm and they are usually open until 03:30 am for business and or shopping to be done. This for a Westerner can prove quite the challenge; you must carefully plan your shopping and other business needs for the month. The majority of my grocery shopping has been done on either Thursday or Friday nights around midnight. 
Now for me, and my wife Brenda can attest to this, I am a 9:00 pm, winding down, ready for bed kind of man. This schedule has totally disrupted my routine, but thank The Lord it's almost over. It's also only been disruptive one day a week because I plan my shopping night the day before my weekend so I at least have the opportunity to sleep in the next day. 
Enough about that subject. I am still praying and hoping that in the next week or two I will receive notification from HR to return to the US for my work visa processing. Of course it's just my luck that now we are In a travel alert status to and from the Mid-East and Northern Africa regions. Thanks Al-Qaeda. With that said, I most likely wont receive any notification until after this alert is lifted. I ask for all of your prayers to continue for me and I appreciate all of the prayers thus far. 

Take care my friends.

Until next time,

Larry

No comments: